i was very keen to revisit the face/head shapes i had worked on in a previous module.
heads and faces are very much a part of graffiti which is my research project and i wanted to make something and use materials that i feel are me and where i have got to now! i also looked back on an image i took at the beginning of the Diploma.
|i remember Siân saying she saw eyes in the wire mesh.|
|Barbara Hepworth by Ida Kar|
my one worry was the brief which asked for them all to be linked in some way and i was very keen to have them all standing upright (stubborn).
|my first attempts, left rusted paper with resin, middle recycled can and right, paper with self portrait print.|
my next attempt was based on the right hand one above, using a wire frame with layers of paper stitched to it and then a final outer layer stuck over the top with PVA, essentially paper maché. they are 15cm high. i was keen to keep the self portrait!
|here is my group so far, some are plain some are graphite (yes the liquid graphite i raved about on Facebook), some just wire and some are organdie.|
|detail, i have used horsehair to stitch through punched holes for the eyes and eyelashes.|
|i then placed then in a piece of plastic i found that has holes but they are only held in loosely.|
|then i took a few and secured them in a strip from a drinks can with holes.|
|i then took them and the plastic and put them in horizontally to hang up.|
|i got some great shadows.|