Sian asked me if i wanted to do some more 'purls' as an easter extra! as if i didn't have enough to do but i am not one to turn down a challenge so here are the results! the easter chicks above i have already posted as an easter greeting but i quite liked them so here they are again.
to begin with i continued with wire but tried to use things that were of different shapes so i came up with the cookie cutters! above are self explanatory, all except the lower right corner which was a clothes peg. i like using the fine wire which then springs out of shape.
i think number two is plain to see but as usual i realise i haven't included any scale which i must remember to do in future. perhaps a photography check list is in order. these are based on paper and cloth mixed. the green one is a mixture of newspaper and coloured tissue paper mache'd. the next one round to the right is a chain of little people cut out from calico but painted and stiffened with pva, glitter and paper. the smaller people chain is just cut out from newspaper and twisted with wire. the next three to the left are paper and cloth either stuck onto wire or stitched (middle one).
three above using a mixture of wire and other ingredients, loosely anticlockwise from left. three small samples using calico stuck onto paper and then silver leafed, the wire is then threaded through like running stitch and the piece pleated up before the wire is twisted. the next one, visible side on in #4 below is twisted around a cookie cutter with smaller 'tags' attached by fine purls, next has fine coloured purls threaded through fine wire which is twisted to stop them moving then the whole twisted around a chinese ink stick. the next two consist of two wires, the longer one joined sporadically with gold tissue stuck around with pva and the smaller has one of the wires purled every so often before the two are purled again. the shocking pink is fishing line French knitted with a wire threaded through and then purled. the larger green one is a 'scoobie' threaded with wire through its centre with smaller purled wires over the top and then twisted around the same ink stick as before. finally one wire threaded through another purl which has been pulled apart sporadically.
four shows two of the above from different angles
finally in this series a larger newspaper, calico, foil and paper twists purl. when i pulled it off the roller i worked it on it was still stuck to the cling film which i quite liked.
six shows it without the cling film, its a bit like a ringlet, quite springy.
and finally, finally i made an over sized one which i thought was in keeping with my research project Graffiti and the use of yarn bombing. i knitted a long length of bamboo fibre which i bought some time ago at great expense and never used till now! i then soaked the whole in dilute pva and wrapped it around a large tube, diameter 60cm. once dry i sprayed a black streak along one side and then released it. it has a wonderful life of its own!!
so far i have only taken photos of it in the garden and not done any adapting. when i have some new ink cartridges i will hopefully add some stitch. the rather weird thing above are cloches without anything to protect yet but i loved the shape they make.
i could go on forever, each one i do gives me further ideas but i must get back to metallica! but i do like the ice cube idea Sian. what about balloons!