Friday, 10 May 2013

Bonded layers (Chapters 9 and 10)

Chapter 9
it's taken me a long time to do this chapter, can't say its been my favourite, till i got to the 'Resolved' pieces!! any way here goes.

the idea was to make lace like structures by applying 'bits' of things to an adhesive layer, i used a 'Bonda web' which i had got from Whaleys. my first piece i sandwiched between adhesive ( sample 3 ) but then i decided it worked just as well on a single layer. 

Note Siân the scale!

these are left over scraps of japanese paper i had inkjet printed on 
this sample i painted the adhesive layer and used old 'used' bits of sellotape i had taken off the back of some old photos it had that lovely old yellowness and had lost its stick
offcuts of thread

 the next thing was to cut out shapes of these 'lace' bits and attach them to back grounds. the piece above was a remnant from last years summer school with thread 'lace' and a sample of black silk fibres i had formed into rings and applied to the adhesive. can't say i like this one

for this piece i coloured the adhesive with liquid graphite and stuck black plastic pieces i had removed from a piece in Chapter 8. it was then attached to a sample from an earlier chapter

Chapter 10

Nylon layer with bonded silver leaf, rusted plastic and garden fleece.
the above sample uses stitched elements and then heat to melt through the various layers and thus bonding them together. 

Resolved Sample 1

using letters to create individual elements
i wanted to get back to some colour! some time ago i bought a pack of light sensitive fabric which i had never used. so i used an old piece of type to cut a stencil and placed it on the fabric in bright sunlight(!) in a couple of areas, top left and far right dark green 'K's. you then wash the fabric and this leaves the 'set' image visible. i then placed a dark blue nylon layer on top and cut out 2 'K's from my 'lace' pieces and attached them to the piece (top right and bottom right). i then stitched lines across the background and then took a heat tool to it to reveal the green underneath. finally i cut a metal  'K' and held it in place with more of the blue nylon and an adhesive layer and emphasised the silver with stitch around the other 'K'.

Resolved Sample 2
i was thinking about bonding more than just a few layers and wondered whether i could create real bulk. i was looking back on my sketchbook and thought of using this as inspiration, instead of going downwards i wanted to go up!

image on the right

image created by bonding 36 layers (approx) of cotton organdie

it measures about 5mm deep

my first layer was paper, the black line seen half way through, i then built up layers, it was very labour intensive but i am really pleased with the outcome. half way through i had had enough but didn't think it was thick enough so i came back to it and worked from the other side. i drilled the holes and attached it 'a la Gulliver' to a single layer of organdie. the bonda web on the background i coloured by spraying with spray paint. i think i would like to investigate this further when i have the time and patience!


  1. Great ideas, lovely to study as usual.

  2. I love your resolved sample, Ann, it's very contemporary and a brilliant move on from your earlier samples. I struggled with this one too, but oddly enough have a piece hanging in my window still that gets admired from time to time.

  3. Such an original resolved sample.

  4. Thanks everyone. Pleased that chapters over! But I am pleased with the last resolved sample and hope there's room for further exploration there.